Saturday, January 16, 2010

Performance Art Houston


I have started a blog to encourage the Performance Art in Houston, even though i am not sure there is very much of it. Maybe this is an attempt to find it.

PERFORMANCE ART HOUSTON

I have also been putting on a monthly performance art night at Notsuoh, a local bar run by Jim Pirtle, a true Houston Performance Artist. Most of the performers would have never called themselves performance artists before participating in the event, but i am thrilled to create an opportunity for them discover the option.

Here is a post from Performance Art Houston that documents one of the nights.


It has been really exciting and fulfilling for me.

It has also given me the chance to perform almost once a month, this has been really interesting... my pieces have created a kind of narrative of my growth. I read a love letter to myself while slowly undressing, revealing my body to the crowd, I threw a tantrum, I spanked myself to Carrie Underwood's Cowboy Cassanova, and I masturbated while covered in sugar. Each piece needs a detailed explanation, and hopefully i will be able to create an exhibition or show that will bring it all together eventually. Jim Pirtle wrote about my pieces and about performance art night on his blog here, which was a really interesting read for me.




Visit Performance Art Houston for info on future events.

No comments: